The House of the Dead





The House of the Dead
By Roshni Swapna

Be silent.
Even a single shrapnel of a sound
can cause an explosion.

I stand in the courtyard of
the house of the one
who killed himself.

On the trampled foot steps
of the people who came and left,
silence is pooled like mucky water.

It hardly takes a second for
the ballooned up silences to burst.

Someone points out.
There is his father’s grave.
This is the abandoned well
where his insane sister 
flung herself to death.
Here is the lemon tree
where his mother plucks
the leaves of insanity.
The grandma, fed on 
the moonlight of lunacy
is yet to return.
Look, is one of these bamboos him?
Is it his movement that
shivers in the wind.
Do these red blooms
signify his resistance?

On the shadows 
that the sun’s glare spreads on us,
there is the burning scent of his flesh.

I feel like retracing my steps.

But, i cannot abandon my legs
hooked and dragged by the toes
under ground.
I cannot abandon the forest scents of
wanderings with him for years.

I cannot abandon the memory
of the houses of lacquer
where he was locked up and burnt
to save me.

I cannot return from the 
battle grounds of victorious strategies
adapted for him.

The scent of burning flesh
now emanates from within me.

I am the one who brewed
the poison that he drank.
I am the one who built
the coffin for him.

But, 
I am not the one
who wrote this poem.
The title of this poem is not
The House of the Dead.

The men with fair skin can 
name this poem `Black’
and read it thus.

I stand in the courtyard
of my own house.
I stand in the courtyard
of my own house.

If you have any objection, please be frank. And, be in touch.

Comments

Popular Posts